Does DS 6.22.253 32 bit Free “call back home” on start up?

DELFTship forum Feature requests Does DS 6.22.253 32 bit Free “call back home” on start up?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Ralph Grothe
      Participant

Hello,

I have a very annoying issue with mentioned DS version that I cannot start the program any more right now.
      I already experienced this while ago but then it somehow disappeared.
      But right now it’s haunting me back.

I need to mention that I run DS on Linux via WINE.
      After some issues getting it running first I could resolve this by using the 32 bit instead of the 64 bit binaries.
      From then on it worked without any issues apart from the occasional hangs at start every now an then.

If I look at what WINE outputs during start (see below) I have the suspicion that DS tries to make an Internet connection because the log entries end with the line,
      “fixme:wininet:InternetAttemptConnect Stub”.
      It looks as if some pending communication to the DS website is blocked.

But during this I have a pending Internet connection (i.e. dynamically assigned IP for my router from my ISP).
      Also my credentials with DS’s website are still valid. Otherwise I couldn’t post this.

If I purchased the Pro version of DS would I still encounter the same issues (i.e. does it also try to call back)?

Regards,
      Ralph

$ jobs
      [1]+ Running WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DelftShip WINEARCH=win32 nohup wine /home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DelftShip/drive_c/ProgramFiles/DELFTship/DelftShip.exe &>/tmp/wine_DS.log &

$ tail -5 /tmp/wine_DS.log
      fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2184a8)->(0x218674 0x32f4dc): semi-stub
      fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x217708)->(0x2187e4 0x32f438): semi-stub
      fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode namespaces not supported: L”xmlns”
      fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x218668)->(0x218834 0x32f4dc): semi-stub
      fixme:wininet:InternetAttemptConnect Stub

Ralph Grothe
      Participant

Seems no one else has experienced this.

It is a pretty annoying bug which makes me seriously consider whether I should resort to FreeShip altogether.

After having worked for a while without this bug reappearing it just now has haunted me back and is preventing me from drafting in DELFTship, which I was supposed to do right now.

It again hangs with this dreaded final WINE message:

[fiddle@pabell:~]
      $ jobs
      [1]+ Running WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DelftShip WINEARCH=win32 nohup wine /home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DelftShip/drive_c/ProgramFiles/DELFTship/DelftShip.exe &>/tmp/wine_DS.log &
      $ kill %1
      $ tail -1 /tmp/wine_DS.log
      fixme:wininet:InternetAttemptConnect Stub
      [1]+ Terminated WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DelftShip WINEARCH=win32 nohup wine /home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DelftShip/drive_c/ProgramFiles/DELFTship/DelftShip.exe &>/tmp/wine_DS.log

Marven
      Keymaster

The program, indeed connects to our servers during startup in order to check for updates.
      Have you tried to disable the automatic updates feature?
      You can disable it in the program preferences window, which can be found on the “File” tab

Ralph Grothe
      Participant

Hello Marven,

Yes, I always made sure that under “File->Program Settings->Preferences->Automatic Updates” the “Never” drop down item was selected.

But this seems to have no effect on my occasional hangs on start up.

I also had a pending Internet connection (i.e. my router was assigned an IP address by my ISP),
      and o local packet filter or firewall on my laptop was running, nor was I going via a caching or partially blocking HTTP proxy whenever I experienced this.

However, it seems a likely cause to me that some URI on your website wasn’t reachable during these spells, for whatever reason.

Does the DS Pro version exhibit the same behavior?
      If not I would seriously consider getting a license key for it, despite my desolate financial situation.

Regards,
      Ralph

P.S. Right now I could start DS again without any hangs.

Marven
      Keymaster

Hi Ralph,

I’ve just checked the source of the program and you are right, the program checks for available updates during startup, even if the setting is disabled. I’ll make sure this is fixed in the next update.

Ralph Grothe
      Participant

Hi Marven,

many thanks for checking with the sources.

Your prospect to fix this with the next release would be a tremendous relief for me.

Btw, out of curiosity. Is DS written in Pascal/Delphi as I think its ancestor FreeShip was?

If so, there are compilers for Linux like FreePascal or a full IDE like Lazarus ( http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/ ).
      It would be great if one day DS binaries could be built for Linux.

I personally have had only little exposure to Pascal when I went to Uni.
      For us engineers Fortran was the first choice of programming language because all the number crunching libraries that we used and needed to interface with were written in Fortran.
      That was also how I got acquainted with Linux while at uni.
      Of course the OSes run on the hardware there were predominantly commercial Unix derivatives such as SunOS, later Solaris, HP-UX ,or on the CAD workstations Irix.
      Because I needed a Fortran compiler on my brand new PC 386 IBM clone to do the hacking at home,
      and because all available commercial F77 compilers by e.g. Microsoft, Lahey, Watcom were far too expensive for a student,
      my peers pointed me at the then new and unwieldy Linux which came with the GNU Fortran compiler g77 (actually just a parser that converted the code into C which it then compiled).

Installing my first distro (I think it was either Yggdrasil or Slackware, of which the latter is still alive today) was a real challenge.
      I remember that it took a stack of some +20 floppy disks to swap like a disk jockey during a several hour installation. :woohoo:

Regards,
      Ralph

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.